You might be aware of your need for heart disease screenings. But did you know your vascular system needs attention, too? Your vascular system—all of the arteries, veins and capillaries in your body—can be vulnerable to disease. And vascular disease has been linked to very serious consequences, including stroke.
Regular vascular disease screenings can help. We offer those tests at Berger Health System.
Who should be screened for vascular disease?
If you are older than 50 and have any of the following risk factors, a vascular disease screening might be right for you:
- Family history of vascular disease.
- High blood pressure.
- High cholesterol.
Vascular screening tests we offer
We can provide you with several vascular disease screening options, including:
- Carotid artery ultrasound. This test can spot blockages, narrowing and plaque in the arteries that lead to the brain. It's a key stroke prevention test.
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening. This ultrasound test measures the size of a major artery in the abdomen. If the abdominal aorta is enlarged, it may suggest the existence of an aneurysm.
- Ankle brachial index (ABI). This test is designed to highlight the presence of peripheral arterial disease (PAD), or hardening and narrowing of the arteries. An ABI measures blood pressure in both the ankle and arm using blood pressure cuffs and an ultrasound. If the results are abnormal, it is an indicator that PAD may exist.
If your vascular screening tests highlight a problem, we can use testing procedures to confirm the diagnosis and help create a plan of action. The tests we use might include:
- Venous duplex studies.
- Arterial duplex studies.
- Carotid Doppler studies.
- Segmental and pulse volume recordings.
Many of these tests are performed with an ultrasound machine that uses sound waves to evaluate blood flow through the veins and arteries.
With a firm diagnosis, Berger's team of vascular surgeons and interventional radiologists can work with your doctor to determine the best treatment options.
Our vascular screening team
Berger's vascular team has a wide range of knowledge and expertise in providing diagnosis, treatment and care to patients with circulatory diseases and disorders. We also partner with Riverside Radiology Associates, Inc., to provide interventional radiology care.
The services provided are under the medical direction of a staff interventional radiologist, who reviews all vascular test results before sending those results to doctors.