We recognize the importance of support from family and friends for patients in our hospital, and patient care is our primary concern. To promote healing and quality of care, specific visiting hours and regulations have been established for all family and friends.
- Children must be 12 years of age or older to visit clinical areas unless given permission from the provider or director of the unit. We ask that an adult accompany all children during their visit.
- Shirt and shoes are required for visitors in all areas of the hospital.
- Visitors may be requested not to visit if they demonstrate signs and symptoms of infections.
- Visitor overnight stays are to be approved by a charge nurse, patient care coordinator or unit director and are only granted when a patient's condition warrants. Overnight visitors must be at least 18 years of age.
- Members of the clergy may visit at any time upon the request of the patient or family.
- Berger Hospital promotes a smoke-free environment. Smoking within the hospital and on hospital grounds is strictly prohibited.
- At times, it may be clinically appropriate to limit visitors or apply restrictions on visitation for patients. The medical and nursing staff will make this determination. If these restrictions are necessary, the staff will communicate the reasons to both the patient and family and involve them in planning visitations.
- Berger Health System retains the right to limit and/or restrict visitation in circumstances where safety to patients, visitors and community members is of concern.
General visiting hours: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Critical care unit (ICU and cardiac care)
General visiting hours: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., with afternoon quiet time from 2 to 4 p.m.
We ask that only immediate family members visit patients in these areas of the hospital, with a limit of two visitors at a time. Exceptions to visitation may be made when certain circumstances exist and are at the discretion of the critical care unit staff.
Postpartum visiting hours: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
A rest period for the patient is encouraged between 1 and 4 p.m.
Maternity unit guidelines
- Primary support person may visit anytime.
- Two additional support persons may visit during labor and birth.
- During the labor and birth period, all visitors, other than siblings of the newborn, must be at least 12 years of age.
- Postpartum visitors of any age are invited after the recovery period.
- We ask that all visiting children be supervised by an adult.
- Any visitor with an obvious illness may not directly visit the mother or newborn.
- Overnight stay is limited to the primary support person only.
Emergency department (ED)
One or two visitors are permitted to be with the patient. The number of other patients in the ED and the type of ED activity must be considered before visitors are allowed. Exceptions or suspension of visitation are at the discretion of the medical and nursing staff.
Family may accompany or visit the patient in the same-day surgery center at the discretion of the medical and nursing staff and are permitted to stay with the patient in the room before and after the patient's procedure. Visitors are prohibited in the operating room and immediate recovery room. Infection control standards must be maintained at all times.